Happy New Year everybody!
2016 has been a whirlwind of a year. We hope 2017 brings you all new exciting adventures and memories - we know one thing for sure that 2017 has a lot in store for us.
We're starting the year with a BANG - a recipe that is very dear to our hearts - Nando's. Here in the UK, Nando's is like the national food! It's comforting Portuguese grilled chicken. Now we have made a New Year resolution to be healthier and more mindful when it comes to our food choices so a trip to Nando's on the first week of the year does not seem right. So we set out to create our favourite items on the menu - vegan style!
Peri peri seasoning (you can easily get this at the herbs and seasoning isle in your supermarket)
Nando's marinade of choice (we used Hot, of course)
Burger rolls (Nando's uses Portuguese rolls, we find that Ciabatta rolls can be a good substitute, but you can use any crispy bread)
1. Cut tofu into slices - around 1cm thick and dry them with a paper towel.
2. Add a dash of olive oil to a medium heated pan and fry both sides of tofu for 1-2 minutes each to crisp up both sides.
3. Put the tofu on a plate lined with paper towel to drain the excess oil.
4. Poke small holes into the slices using a toothpick or a small fork in order for the marinade to absorb better.
5. Pure 2-3 tbsp of marinade onto the tofu slices and season with 1 tsp of salt and pepper. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
6. Bake the tofu slices in the oven at 150C for 15 minutes, flipping the slices half-way during baking and baste with 1-2 tbsp of marinade.
6. Now prepare the 'macho peas'. Finely chop mint and parsley. Cook your peas. Mash 1/3 with chili flakes, salt and the chopped herbs then add the rest of the peas, mix well.
7. Cook your corn and chips to your liking then add salt and peri peri seasoning.
8. Assemble your burger with the tofu slices, tomato and lettuce. You can add more Nando's sauce if you'd like!